Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Alyssa's Shoes and Bags B'day!




My granddaughter Alyssa turned the page on being an 8 year old and stepped into her 9th year on April 21st.  We hopped into the car from Miami and headed for the big 'to-do' in Ocala, where she lives with her mom.

Needless to say, it was a frenzied affair. We drove north for 4 hours with all my supplies early Friday in order to prepare Alyssa’s cake. I naturally always leave something behind, but I worked it out.  The cake was completed by 2:30 AM.

 





The theme: Alyssa requested Shoes and Purses...
 
My response, "Huh?..  and what do I do? My girl is not even a tween. Heavy sigh! So... I did the grandmotherly thing and created gilry flats out of sugar and a simple purse confectioned out of cake.
 
I was told the party included a group of ten at the local Ocala  roller rink.   So I said to Alyssa, 'I’ll make you a little cake that looks like a purse.' We sat down in front of our home computer and we designed the cake of all cakes! Voila!  We now had a 3 tier cake in the rising. 
 
In my mind I could hear mom, Monica, saying, "how exaggerated, Nancy!” 
My response, "Come on, Monica... she is my granddaughter!" I hear this every year and aren’t I allowed?
 
So to please both Mom and Alyssa, I made the bottom layer a 'dummy' cake; dummy as in Styrofoam. The middle layer is Alyssa’s favorite - chocolate.  The purse was all vanilla with a pinch of Coco rum.
 
I threw in some miniature high heels from little cupcakes and boxed them in clear boxes as favors; I confess, I went crazy with purses and heel cookies.  I found cardboard purses at QualityWholesale and stuffed them with flavored lip glosses as goodie bag items. True that, I had more fun getting everything together than when I used to coordinate my own children's birthday partys; Ah, to be a  grandmother. Sweet!
 
Oops. Lastly, I dressed up fancy-like to the Roller Rink in Ocala, nothing like Miami, life is simpler in there. The good news; everyone there approached us to pay homage to Alyssa’s cake, cookies and mini cupcake shoes. The good folks came by to  take pictures. How funny! A good time was had by all and my Alyssa was happy.  It's a good life! 


 





 


To place an order:
Phone: (305)345-2150 cell or (305) 554-7363 Email: Nancilys@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment